Getting into America to work may not be as hard as it seems. There may be confusion about what type of visa to get, but with a little research, you may find the green card that is right for you. 

According to the Department of Homeland Security, a Green Card holder is a person authorized to live and work in the United States. A family member or employer may petition for an individual to live in the States, while others come through with a refugee or asylee status. If an employer decides to sponsor you, there are five categories to choose from.

1. EB-1: Priority workers

An EB-1 itself has three categories: 

  • A person with extraordinary ability who must demonstrate this ability in arts, sciences, education and other achievements 
  • An outstanding researcher or professor who has earned recognition in a particular academic field 
  • A multinational manager or executive with employment outside the U.S. seeking a petition with the same employer in the U.S.

2. EB-2: Professionals and persons of exceptional ability

An EB-2 is for those who hold an advanced degree. You must show that you have at least a baccalaureate degree with five years of post-bachelor’s work in the same field.

3. EB-3: Skilled and unskilled workers and professionals

This visa includes those who have a labor certification. An employer must offer a full-time job.

4. EB-4: Certain special immigrants

Some of the following special immigrants can petition for this visa: 

  • Armed forces members 
  • Broadcasters 
  • Religious workers 
  • Certain physicians 
  • Panama Canal Zone employees 
  • G-4 International Organization or NATO-6 employees 
  • Special immigrant juveniles 

Additional information is available for religious works and special immigrant juveniles.

5. EB-5: Immigrant Investor Program

A new update for this visa went into effect on Nov. 21, 2019. The new rule increased the minimum investment amounts. It changed the targeted employment area designations and clarified procedures for the removal of conditions on permanent residence. 

For those needing a labor certification, the prospective employer must obtain approval from the Department of Labor. The department will certify that no qualified U.S. workers are available for that position.